|Years active||2013 -|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
|Music genre(s)||Hard rock, rock|
California Breed is an English-American hard rock band founded in Los Angeles, California, comprising of singer and bassist Glenn Hughes, drummer and percussionist Jason Bonham, and guitarist and singer Andrew Watt.
Following the dissolution of Black Country Communion in March 2013, guitarist Joe Bonamassa immediately resumed his solo career. Hughes had indicated to the media that he would like to continue the band with Bonham, and keyboardist Derek Sherinian but with a new guitarist, however Bonamassa had nixed the idea of allowing the remaining members to use the name 'Black Country Communion'. Within weeks, in a Tweet published on 7 April 2013, Hughes had revealed that he was starting to write material with New York guitarist Andrew Watt, in Hughes' Burbank studio. Hughes had been introduced to Watt via friend Julian Lennon, who was curating a Beatles photography exhibition at the Morrison Hotel Gallery in February 2013. With sessions exceeding expectations, Bonham joined both musicians in the studio and two songs were recorded; 'Chemical Rain' and 'Solo'. The rest of the recordings were placed on hold while Hughes completed commitments with the Kings of Chaos supergroup project and Bonham toured his Led Zeppelin Experience, for the remainder of 2013. In July 2013, Sherinian had joined Bonamassa's touring band as keyboard player, and was announced as a permanent member of his band in August. On 8 August 2013, guitarist Watt released an Instagram picture which showed himself with Hughes and Bonham in a Miami, Florida recording studio, stating he was writing new music with both musicians. Hughes revealed in an interview on 24 December 2013, that the album had been finished with Lennon contributing a duet to the recordings via a link-up with a Nashville studio, as a thank you for helping put the band together.
On 6 February 2014, Hughes, Bonham, and Watt announced the launch of California Breed, with the release of their eponymous debut album in May 2014, produced by Dave Cobb and engineer Vance Powell. Cobb had previously worked with Rival Sons while Powell had worked with Jack White.
California Breed made there first public live appearance at the Whisky a Go Go in West Hollywood on 28 May 2014.
- Staff writer. Black Country Communion split, Glenn Hughes reveals, Express & Star, Claverley Group, 25 March 2013.
- Hughes, Glenn (7 April 2013). Having a relaxing Sunday..gonna get brunch @ our fave place.... Twitter.
- Gallucci, Michael (6 February 2014). Jason Bonham and Glenn Hughes Working Together Again. Ultimate Classic Rock. Loudwire Network. Retrieved on 12 April 2014.
- Watt, Andrew (8 August 2013). Something special this way comes…. andrew50watt. Instagram.
- Staff writer (24 December 2013). Glenn Hughes' New Album to Feature Guest Appearance by Julian Lennon. Blabbermouth.net.
- DeRiso, Nick (4 March 2014). California Breed Debut Album Info. Ultimate Classic Rock. Loudwire Network. Retrieved on 12 April 2014.
- California Breed, Drug the Kids, the Aviators. The World Famous Whisky a Go Go (28 May 2014). Retrieved on 30 May 2014.