User talk:John Stephenson
Thank you for the changes you have made, removing a source of irritation. Much appreciated. I have suggested another change on the talk page of Scarborough Castle. --Martin Wyatt (talk) 20:16, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
Question on origin of Roman alphabet
John, In case it's not on your watchlist, please see my comment on Talk:Roman_alphabet. You might know more than I. I did not read the entire article so, just glanced at the Origin section, and it bothered me a bit.Pat Palmer (talk) 15:29, 21 February 2021 (UTC)
John, I've added some new material to the Academy entry, including a section on the Acad´emie Francaise as the custodian of the French language. I believe this falls within your area of professional expertise so i would appreciate it if you would take a look at it, strike out anything that is totally wrong and correct any subtleties that you think need it. Thanks Roger A. Lohmann (talk) 13:08, 3 May 2021 (UTC)
- (Update): Since I wrote the note above, I've added a few additional sections on other language academies. Same questions apply, if you will. Again, thanks.Roger A. Lohmann (talk) 14:32, 3 May 2021 (UTC)
Adding a new article
I hope you are doing well and having a great time. I have a question regarding adding a new article. Actually, I have many good topics in my mind but I am not sure which one will be accepted or rejected by Citizendium. Could you please give me some information about choosing a right topic? Thanks in advance. Amin Mahmoudi (talk) 17:37, 31 August 2021 (UTC)
Please test Tim's wiki mail
Hi, John. I'm sorry I didn't see your message about the Write-a-Thon. I checked my email configuration. I should be receiving email notifications but don't recall seeing one back in January. Would you mind leaving another piece of wiki mail so I can check while I'm actively watching? (I mean, just sometime in coming days. No rush.) — Tim Chambers (talk) 17:35, 3 October 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks. Just saw your wikimail. I am not getting email notifications, not in spam folder, and will do more troubleshooting on my end. — Tim Chambers (talk) 04:51, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
Have you watched the latest? I've added a note on that page which is not explicitly supported by DW Wiki, and WP hasn't got round to including any information on the actual broadcast yet, but this seems to be implied. If it's wrong please delete. Peter Jackson (talk) 10:54, 1 November 2021 (UTC)
- I'm not sure what that refers to. The titling is a bit of a mess. In the opening credits it says Doctor Who with Flux underneath (which has led fans to complain that they've renamed the whole show to Doctor Who Flux!), then on the next screen for the first episode it says Chapter One: The Halloween Apocalypse. However, the iPlayer just calls it The Halloween Apocalypse. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's correct that this is the first time there has been a series and an episode title at once. Is the Chapter bit really an episode number, though? I lean towards no. John Stephenson (talk) 14:53, 2 November 2021 (UTC)
- I'll take your word as more reliable than the WP talk page, so what I've written is essentially accurate. As to exact wording, over the period 1966-89 when this was normal, screen titles varied: Episode/Part/[nothing] 1/One. So I'm inclined to treat this as just another variation, but feel free to amend the wording if you like. Peter Jackson (talk) 11:01, 3 November 2021 (UTC)
could you take a lot at these directions?
While it isn't something that anyone can do, for those who want to create an article cluster with subpages, I've tried to document the manual process that I've been using. Please take a look at User:Pat_Palmer/sandbox/How_to_create_a_subpages_article_manually and let me know your thoughts. Can it be done better, etc? I have no idea if we'll ever come up with an automated way to do it or not, so in the meantime, we'll have this when it's really important. What do you think? Pat Palmer (talk) 14:24, 25 March 2022 (CDT)
Name of Liz Truss
Is it Cambridge or Cornwall?
- Both. William automatically becomes Duke of Cornwall as male heir to the throne. The title, as far as I know, precedes other dukedoms. We don't yet know for certain how he will be referred to, though, so I'm leaving page moves alone for the time being. Same for Charles, who might be George VII rather than Charles III. John Stephenson (talk) 12:59, 8 September 2022 (CDT)
- You're right on precedence of titles. He's now D of Cornwall, Rothesay & Cambridge, in that order. No doubt he'll be created P of Wales in due course.
Is it possible to lift and move the discussion now on my Talk page to the Forums?
John, There is a long thread developing on my Talk page about whether the wiki should have articles about violent crimes. I think this is an important discussion, and although I am editor in chief (reluctantly), I don't think my voice should be the only one heard. Thankfully, Peter Jackson is playing devil's advocate. Could this whole thread by lifted and moved to the Forums where it might attract other commentary in the future from a wider audience? Or should it? Pat Palmer (talk) 08:37, 1 December 2022 (CST)
- I think it should. As for moving it, you can copy-and-paste, which would obviously not preserve the history, or move the entire page and cut out the earlier posts (before copy-and-pasting them back to your Talk page). You can't split page histories. I can do that if you like. John Stephenson (talk) 16:57, 2 December 2022 (CST)